COTABATO CITY UNDER THE MINDANO AND SULU
In accordance with cat no 2309 of the Philippine Commission the powers and duties of the Moro province were transferred to the Department of Mindanao and Sulu. Towards June 1914, the Philippine Commission 0also approved Act no. 2408, known as the organic Act of the Department of Mindanao and Sulu. Which was formally organized under Governor Frank Carpenter. In contrast to the legislative Council under the Moro Province, the Governor of the department was assisted by an Administrative council, which powers. Each province in the Department had a governor appointed by the department governor, subject to the confirmation to the governor general of the Philippines. There was a board of three members; the provincial governor, the provincial secretary-treasurer and the third member. Later on, however, the provincial treasurer was relieved as a member of the provincial board in his place another elective member of the board was _____. At the first the department governor also appointed the third member, but in March 1915, the post was made elective under no. 2429. In Cotabato province, as in bukidnon, lanao and Sulu the third member was elected by the presidents, Vice presidents and councilors of the municipalities and municipal districts in the respective provinces. But the election was only in theory; he was most certainly handpicked by the governor. The positions were originally occupied by American officials, which were given to Filipino’s. Under the filipinized board the following were appointed: Major Dionisio Gutierrez, provincial governor; Mr. Lorenzo Palileo, provincial Treasurer Datu Ping, third member and Mr. Edilberto Mendoza, secretary to the provincial board. The municipal government was also reorganized. The tribal wards were abolished and replaced by Municipal districts. The provincial governors from among the influential leaders of the communities appointed the municipal president. In summary, we may record that Cotabato had two organized municipalities (Cotabato and Parang) and 23 municipal president of the capital town of Cotabato. The period under consideration may be marked as the transition from a semi-military rule in Cotabato to full civil government. There has been a significant development also when governor Bryant and captain Carter on May 19, 1914 received the coming to the folds of law of Datu Alamada and 500 of his armed men. Datu Alamada had fought the government for twenty years prior to his surrender in 1914; he resisted the disarmament policy of governor John Pershing. But Ignacio Ortouste, who later became assistant to the governor of Cotabato, and Rosauro Lualhati, later made provincial Secretary –Treasurer in Bukidnon, negotiated for his giving up. In 1915, on invitation of Governor Carpenter he came to Manila Carnival. Governor General Burton Harrison describes his visit at Malacañang. He seemed tome like a wild bird, Poised for instant flight and extremely uncomfortable among the large crowd of officials at Malacañang Palace his hands was cold from suppressed nervousness and embarrassment. He had to come to Manila upon the assurance that he could carry his Kris at all times, and that he would not be obliged to wear ‘Christian clothing’. However, before the end of his first day in Manila Datu Alamada is said to have discarded the Kris and procured an American suit. Upon his return to Cotabato he was resettled with his followers in the Valley of Libungan River. Datu Alamada was subsequently appointed deputy governor Dionisio Gutierrez.